Important Cyber Crime News
Card fraud hitting consumer confidence: Card fraud caused by data breaches, and increased awareness of fraud is having a significant impact on consumer confidence in organisations, according to the US National Consumers League. Click here to read more at ITP.Net
Inside FBI’s massive cybercrime bust: Computer hacker forums lit up last week as Federal Bureau of Investigation agents and police in 17 countries began knocking on doors, seizing computers and making arrests. Click here to read more atMoney.CNN.com
- Cybercrime Scheme Uncovered in Brazil: Security researchers have uncovered what they believe is a significant cybercrime operation in Brazil that took aim at $3.75 billion in transactions by Brazilians. Click here to read more at NyTimes.com.
- Dubai sets up e-security centre to fight cyber criminals: Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum has issued a new law to establish the Dubai Centre for E-Security, which will be charged with protecting government information and communications systems from cyber criminals. Click here to read more at ITP.Net.
- Hackers bring down World Cup websites: Hacker group Anonymous Brazil have started an online drive to disrupt local state websites and sponsors of the 2014 Fifa World Cup, on the eve of the tournament, according to online reports.Click here to read more at ITP.Net.
NSA Raises the Alarm over Cybercrime’s Damage to National Image: Dasuki who was speaking at the First National Cybersecurity Forum in Lagos said the abnormal trend is denting Nigerian image and those of many nations. According to him, “realising the importance of cyber space, the Federal Government of Nigeria has designated cyber security as a national security priority with the office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) stepping up efforts towards meeting the challenge by working in close collaboration with all stakeholders to ensure a safer and more secure cyberspace.”. Click here to read more at thisdaylive.com.
- Hackers Use Google Maps and Google Glass for Cybercrimes: Cyber forensics researchers from the University of Massachusetts Lowell discovered a way to steal passwords entered from a device using Google Glass. Click here to read more at Au.Ibtimes.com.
- The Global Cost of Cybercrime: More Than $400 Billion Per Year: What’s the cost of cybercrime? A report (PDF) released on Monday puts the annual hit to the global economy at more than $400 billion.Click here to read more at businessweek.com.
Russia gang hacks 1.2 billion usernames and passwords: A Russian group has hacked 1.2 billion usernames and passwords belonging to more than 500 million email addresses, according to Hold Security – a US firm specialising in discovering breaches. Hold Security described the hack as the “largest data breach known to date”. It claimed the stolen information came from more than 420,000 websites, including “many leaders in virtually all industries across the world”.
- 10 arrests that shook the cybercrime underworld | Kaspersky Lab Official Blog
- Top 20 Countries Found to Have the Most Cybercrime
- Top 2013 cybersecurity stories and what to watch for in 2014